While water-related therapy has been used for hundreds of years medicinally, many people are not aware of the benefits of hydrotherapy for weight loss. Weight gain is common because of stress, bad eating habits, and a lack of a normal exercise routine. Eventually, a significant weight gain will lead to obesity which is a common risk factor for many chronic diseases.
The use of water is highly valued as a vital part of a patient’s treatment which is why hydrotherapy pools, saunas, thermal baths, and steam rooms are commonly found in medical practices and training gyms. When you exercise in the cold pools, you have the added benefits of elevated circulation and cardio. The use of heat and air jets allows for a full-body massage which relieves stress. If your goal is weight loss, this technique will diversify your exercise routine.
What Is Hydrotherapy?
In today’s medical community, hydrotherapy is used as an alternative treatment for many medical conditions. It is also now commonly used for physical therapy and training regimens which trainers draw on the belief that hot and cold water brings about desired weight loss results. It is why trainers and therapists use both the swimming and the heated pools. The variables in water temperatures help to invigorate the body and stimulate functions when introduced to cold temps. Hotter temps sooth and reduce inflammation of the muscles and joints which relaxes it.
7 Benefits Of Hydrotherapy
- For obese patients, care must be placed on the musculoskeletal system. On land, the body bears the full brunt of one’s weight. In water, it is only 20% of a person’s weight which makes exercise much easier to accomplish when obese. Hydrotherapy reduces the stress and pressure which makes exercise routines more profound and enjoyable.
- Water resistance is a great way to enhance mobility and muscle strength. It also increases a person’s range-of-motion which promotes health as well as weight loss.
- Over time, your muscles, joints, and tissues react to the changes which give overweight patients the time to respond to therapy which increases movement and endurance.
- People who exercise are prone to injuries. Hydrotherapy allows for a low-impact exercise routine that increases balance and core body strength.
- Hydrotherapy is ideal for patients who have chronic diseases, pain, and inflammation.
- Hydrotherapy detoxifies the body. As you relax in a steam room, it induces sweat which is a primary way the body eliminates harmful toxins and impurities from the body. It also helps you cleanse your body which brings about a healthier mind and body.
- Water therapy enhances the immune system because of how the body responds to hydrotherapy by increasing circulation. For anyone suffering from a chronic disease, this is a dynamic way to enhance the immune system and fight off illness.
How effective is hydrotherapy? Studies have shown that people who work out in water burn about two calories more a minute than when working out on land. It is also all about pain relief which research shows hydrotherapy reduces in the entire body without medications. If you want more information on weight loss or hydrotherapy, you can call us today to make an appointment.